Looking for a New Job? jrfoods.in is one stop place for searching new job openings. We got a new job details in City of Myrtle Beach & they are Hiring Candidates for Detention Officer
Company Name : City of Myrtle Beach
Company Location : Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
Job Position : Detention Officer
Job Category : Jobs in South Carolina
Job Description :
12/2/2022 5:00 PM Eastern
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
Enforces all the rules and regulations of the jail; maintains safety and security of the general public, facility staff, and inmates; takes custody of new arrivals; escorts inmates to various parts of the jail facility.
Receives/processes incoming inmates; explains jail rules, regulations and procedures; searches prisoners, conducts property inventory, and secures personal property; prepares in-processing documentation; makes photographs and fingerprint records of incoming prisoners; obtains NCIC background reports; conducts book-in interviews; answers questions from prisoners.
Determines appropriate classification of each inmate according to charges, medical condition, and/or security risk; refers juveniles to a certified Juvenile Officer for further processing; segregates prisoners into proper cells; assigns jail housing; issues clothing, bedding and personal hygiene items.
Monitors inmate activities inside the facility on a continual basis, such as during meals, cleaning activities, visitation, personal hygiene, and related activities; takes and records periodic headcounts of inmates; conducts medical/sick call to distribute medications; controls movements of inmates; transports prisoners to medical facilities statewide, other law enforcement facilities, or other locations as assigned.
Coordinates, monitors, or performs various functions associated with ensuring the health, safety and welfare of inmates, which may include preparing/cooking and serving of meals, provision of clothing/bedding, provision of medical aid/supplies, coordination of visitation and telephone communications.
Maintains security of facility; performs periodic security checks of facility; monitors video surveillance equipment; checks door locks; controls door operations; conducts emergency fire drills; conducts jail shakedowns; searches inmates, cells, building and ground areas to locate/remove contraband and to maintain security; assists in controlling/restraining violent/unruly prisoners.
Supervises inmates attending visitation, during meals, and during medical call; reports unusual observations to superiors; oversees the cleaning of inmates’ quarters or cleans cells upon prisoner release.
Monitors base and two-way radio as assigned; responds to prisoner, employee, or facility emergencies by operating fire suppression equipment, administering medications, and providing first-aid and/or CPR when needed.
Conducts release of prisoners per established procedures; prepares out-processing documentation; runs NCIC reports on inmates; releases prisoners upon bonding out, for termination of cases, or for placement on probation.
Responds to questions, complaints, and requests for information by telephone or in person from inmates, the general public, court personnel, medical staff, attorneys, clergy, officers, employees, and supervisors.
Ensures inmates with special needs received required attention including those with contagious disease, those with suicidal tendencies, handicap/wheelchair assistance, or special medical problems.
Mediates disputes between inmates and/or staff members; counsels and/or disciplines inmates as required.
Conducts NCIC checks on arrestees; enters/retrieves computer data that may include booking cards, prisoner history file, inmate property inventory list, inmate medical information, investigation data, personal and criminal records check, fugitive information, background and history information.
Attends shift meetings, seminars, and training sessions as required to maintain knowledge of departmental and city operations, to promote improved job performance, and to maintain knowledge of changing policies, procedures, codes, and laws.
Prepares or completes various forms, reports, correspondence, logs, arrest and booking reports, fingerprint cards, property sheets, medical reports, incident reports, supplemental reports, inmate counts, inmate folders, classification forms, or other documents.
Receives various forms, reports, correspondence, NCIC reports, citations, warrants, arrest reports, court orders, visitation requests, medical requests, medical reports, pre-booking forms, cell block reports, jail rosters, laws, ordinances, policies, procedures, rules, regulations, directories, manuals, reference materials, or other documentation; reviews, completes, processes, forwards or retains as appropriate.
Communicates with staff of adjoining shifts with supervisor, City employees, inmates, law enforcement officers, visitors, medical providers, the public, outside agencies, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
Maintains a comprehensive, current knowledge and awareness of applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures; maintains an awareness of new equipment, procedures, trends and advances in the profession; reads professional literature; maintains professional affiliations; participates in continuing education activities; attends shift meetings, workshops and seminars as appropriate.
Operates a variety of standard and specialized equipment and tools associated with work activities, which include a motor vehicle, firearm, chemical weapons, radio/communications equipment, handcuffs, taser, flashlight, electronic door control panel, video surveillance equipment, general office equipment, or other equipment as necessary to complete essential functions, to include the use of word processing, spreadsheet, database, or other system software.
Prepares inmates for video bond hearings and court, making sure all proper paperwork is completed and handed to the clerk of court office.
Completes SLED mandates DNA swab on inmates that meet the criteria; files paperwork and completes property vouchers for each DNA swab.
Answers emergency and non-emergency calls, enter calls into the Computer-Aided Dispatching (CAD) system, and perform other dispatching tasks within the communication center as needed; answers RDD calls, and Language lines; provides information for non-emergency calls and answers questions, takes messages, and/or refers caller to appropriate staff; contacts various other departments as needed to resolve problems such as streetlights being out, downed street signs, roadway debris, and power outages.
Transports inmates after bond hearings and court dates to and from JRL and other facilities statewide, sometimes multiple times a day.
Performs functions related to live scan/ink printing; files print cards; logs ten-prints from dispatch; crosschecks ten-prints with inmate booking info to confirm identities.
Maintains the doors, batteries, and cleanliness of sally port.
Secures and maintains overflow/large properties from inmates; keeps a log and disposes of property at city dump after 30 day holds.
Keeps an inventory of all jail equipment including tasers, radios, keys, handcuffs, and leg irons.
Performs court services such as assisting with proceedings in juvenile, probation, magistrate, and/or superior courts, providing safety and security, preparing courtroom for use, and maintaining order.
Substitutes for co-workers in temporary absence of same; may be required to regularly work on various shifts, weekends, and/or holidays as deemed necessary; may perform shift supervisor tasks.
May assist with training new Detention Officers assigned to the jail; may instruct classes and demonstrate basic detention/law enforcement methods.
Escorts maintenance workers, pest control and other outside service personnel while in jail; disposes of waste and garbage from mealtime.
Performs traffic control duties and assists with special events.
Provides transport assistance to patrol and specialized units during peak seasons while also providing a police presence and general assistance to the community.
Applies self-defense techniques in controlled and uncontrolled environments.
Assists records division with database maintenance to maintain compliance with state and federal reporting regulations.
Keeps vehicle fleet clean and reports and problems to supervisor and fleet manager.
Performs daily “walk around” of building to ensure doors are secured and trash is picked up.
Performs other related duties as required.
Complete Credit History
is required from one of the three major credit bureaus listed below. We will not accept a credit score in lieu of a full credit report or a credit report from any other company except those listed below. Credit reports are available at no charge from
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374
P.O. Box 2002
Allen, TX 75013
P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19022
Defaulting on a student loan precludes hiring – SC Code 59-111-50.
These competencies are identified by City of Myrtle Beach leadership and must be demonstrated by all employees across the organization.
- Self-Development – Is personally committed to and actively works to continuously improve him/herself; understands that different situations and levels may call for different skills and approaches; works to deploy strengths; works on compensating for weakness and limits
- Integrity and Trust – Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain
- Ethics and Values – Adheres to an appropriate and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values; rewards the right values and disapproves of others; practices what he/she preaches
- Customer Focus – Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect
- Public Service – Demonstrates the competency of public servant by serving the needs of our community and going the extra mile to ensure our residents are taken care; shows attention to small details
- Approachability – Is easy to approach and talk to; spends the extra effort to put others at ease; can be warm, pleasant and gracious; is sensitive to and patient with the interpersonal anxieties of others; builds rapport well; is a good listener; is an early knower – getting informal and incomplete information in time to do something about it
These competencies are specific to the essential functions of this job
- Composure – Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn’t show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis
- Patience – Is tolerant with people and processes; listens and checks before acting; tries to understand the people and the data before making judgments and acting; waits for others to catch up before acting; sensitive to due process and proper pacing; follows established processes
- Listening – Practices attentive and active listening; has the patience to hear people out; can accurately restate the opinions of others even when he/she disagrees
- Interpersonal Savvy – Relates well to all kinds of people – inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably
- Technical Learning – Picks up on technical things quickly; can learn new skills and knowledge; is good at learning new industry, company, product or technical knowledge; does well in technical courses and seminars
The City of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, 29577
Disclaimer : We are just publishing information regarding new job openings and not legally responsible for any Post. Candidates are requested not to pay any money to anyone posing as jrfoods.in